Scraptastic.

I have long admired the scrappy look. I love a bit of whimsy and bright, fun colors and patterns, but have been a little nervous about trying to pull it off myself. Enter the Homespun Quilt. A dear friend invited me to join her in the quilt-along and so I spent some time looking at other quilters versions, when I stumbled upon a rainbow scrappy version. It was so fun and so pretty, I knew that had to be it.

I spent a good deal of time going through my scrap baskets, trying to decide whether to do 9 or 16 blocks… I went with 12. I would up changing it up a wee bit halfway through, switching from doing 2 aquas to 2 greens. Anyway, my sewing room has been covered up in scraps for about a month.

And then I decided it should be full on scrappy, so I dove into the low volume scraps too and cut out all the background in one go.

At this point, I was already getting excited. I mostly proceeded block by block, cutting one set of main fabrics at a time, sewing up the block, and then moving on. I started with dark pink:

Then came light pink, red, orange, yellow, and light green:

Some colors were easier than others (I don’t have many orange scraps) and I debated a lot about which shades to include. In the end, I opted for a bit more variety in tone and shade and I think it works. After I finished the rainbow log cabin quilt last weekend, I was ready to just wrap this one up. I decided to cut out the next 6 blocks in one go, so I could just sew them up as I had time. It turns out the cutting was taking way longer than making up the blocks.

Not only did I fussy cut half or more of the pieces for the quilt, I also started breaking down smaller scraps. I cut long 2.5″ strings, organized the leftovers, and also cut a charm square out of most fabrics. I would up with a really nice stack of charms… might need to make a rainbow patchwork quilt some time.

Anyway, back to the blocks. Next came dark green, aqua, light blue, blue, navy, and purple:

That last block picture is pretty unfortunate, but I just couldn’t wait to take a good picture. I finished the last block last night after supper and just kept on sewing until the top was done!

Eek! I am so proud! I really think the colors work well and I love the variation between the really saturated blocks versus the light blocks. Ugh, it’s so pretty. So, details. This is the Homespun Quilt by Modernly Morgan designs. I have to say, this pattern is AMAZING. She has full instructions for using fat quarters or yardage, but she also includes a great guide for making a scrappy version – let me tell you, that was a lifesaver. I would highly recommend this pattern, it is super easy for such a stunning effect. This one was fun.

Happy making!

The most fun I’ve had at a sewing machine.

About a year ago, I spied a sew-along on instagram that took my heart. It was from the ladies of my favorite fabric shop, Sunny Day Supply, and was for a quilt called The Norah Quilt.

The quilt is simple: a single block log cabin. I’ve ooh-ed and ah-ed over all the Norahs out there and this year decided to join in. The sew-along started last Friday and I was off for the day, so I started early. I had already cut the fabric and was ready to play.

I decided to go similar to the original and do pink, neutral, mint, and blue for my logs with fussy cut, offset center. I got going on the center but wasn’t quite happy with how I started.

I realized I wanted more navy than yellow and this arrangement was going to give more yellow. So I unpicked all of the seams and started over. A wee rearrangement later, we were off to the races.

Things went pretty quickly at first, I honestly didn’t have much rhyme or reason but went round and round adding strips. I tried not to concentrate any one thing in an area: no pools of lights or darks, balanced large and small scale, that sort of thing. Over the last week, she grew and grew:

Until today, I headed outside to snap this quick in-progress picture and decided it was awfully close to plenty big enough. I wound up adding another 3 rows after this point and called her a day. The quilt top finished at 66″ square and is a crazy mish mash of fabrics. So much fun!


Happy making!