Super Secret Summer Sew

As you may have heard, this summer has not been what any of us expected. When last we spoke, I was deep into a sock fog and I’ll admit my knitting mojo has not come out of that haze yet.

One thing has happened as expected, Astra’s summer visit out of town. A few months ago, I saw a pattern on sewing blog that I just knew had to be made for Astra – but she’s probably the hardest to make a secret make for. The boys are easy, mostly because they sleep in, but my little early-riser is tougher. Enter the super secret summer sew: The Minecraft Quilt!

I gathered up the fabric and got started about a week after Astra left. The pattern is less of a pattern and more of a tutorial/guide from the Seriously… I think it needs stitches blog. I started with Steve and progressed on through. I made the face blocks in batches, cutting out 3 blocks at a time and chain piecing my little heart out.

It took me about a week to cut and piece all 20 face blocks. I did have a bit of advice from Joshua for a few modifications. Block 17 became Diamond Steve and block 18 subbed in the chicken. All in all I enjoyed the process quite a bit.

I knew I wanted to do the Ender Dragon for the back so I checked all my measurements when I was trying to decide on sashing and border widths. Turned out, unless the sashing was bizzarely wide – that dragon would be wider than the front of the quilt. And so I did what any normal quilter would do… I made more blocks for the front.

I decided we’d do her name down the side to widen it out a bit. Next came the dragon. Much like eating the proverbial elephant, the dragon came one bite at a time. The tutorial broke it down into three sections, with 10-15ish blocks in each section. I think the whole dragon alone was something like a 12 hour project. For reference he finished at 70″ wide and 27.5″ tall.

I finished this guy up last Sunday, and from there it was just sashing and borders for the front and a whole lot more purple for the back. In the middle of the week I picked up my new sewing machine and that made the final bit of the process fly. I’ve packed it all up and sent it off to be quilted. When I get it back, I’ll just need to spend a few nights hand sewing the binding before tucking it away for Christmas.

The top finished at 74″ x 80.5″ – a really generous throw. I used the recommended Moda Fabrics fat quarter bundle with a few scraps from my stash thrown in. I also purchased additional black, light, medium, and dark grey, and a ton of purple – all from Moda as well. The fat quarter bundle isn’t available any more but the list is provided here – I didn’t use all of the colors. I also used less than a half yard extra of the greys, an additional 3.75 yards black and about 5 yards total of purple.

Overall, I enjoyed the process and I’m super proud of how it came out and that I finished it and shipped it out before Astra’s home. I do have to say though, it was way out of my usual wheelhouse and I am beyond ready to get back to the pretty, floral lights and brights that I usually sew with. That was a lot of solid purple and black!


Happy {super secret} making!

The most fun I’ve had at a sewing machine.

About a year ago, I spied a sew-along on instagram that took my heart. It was from the ladies of my favorite fabric shop, Sunny Day Supply, and was for a quilt called The Norah Quilt.

The quilt is simple: a single block log cabin. I’ve ooh-ed and ah-ed over all the Norahs out there and this year decided to join in. The sew-along started last Friday and I was off for the day, so I started early. I had already cut the fabric and was ready to play.

I decided to go similar to the original and do pink, neutral, mint, and blue for my logs with fussy cut, offset center. I got going on the center but wasn’t quite happy with how I started.

I realized I wanted more navy than yellow and this arrangement was going to give more yellow. So I unpicked all of the seams and started over. A wee rearrangement later, we were off to the races.

Things went pretty quickly at first, I honestly didn’t have much rhyme or reason but went round and round adding strips. I tried not to concentrate any one thing in an area: no pools of lights or darks, balanced large and small scale, that sort of thing. Over the last week, she grew and grew:

Until today, I headed outside to snap this quick in-progress picture and decided it was awfully close to plenty big enough. I wound up adding another 3 rows after this point and called her a day. The quilt top finished at 66″ square and is a crazy mish mash of fabrics. So much fun!


Happy making!