I have a confession to make: I’ve been hoarding some fabric. Shocker, I know. In particular, I’ve been squirreling away my Liberty stash waiting for the day to come. You know the day. The when I’m A Better Sewist. The day when I find The Perfect Project. Well, that day has yet to arrive and so I’ve stashed. I’ve been doing the Ava & Neve Liberty Society for quite a while, so I get my little bundles each month and I look at them, ooh and ah over them, and put them away.
So pretty, aren’t they? Ok, I’ll level with you. I did something similar with knitting, hoarding my special skeins until I was A Better Knitter. As the story goes, one day I decided to just take the plunge and use The Good Stuff, and you know what? I didn’t hurt the yarn, ruin it, disgrace it, or any of those things. I knit it into something. You’d think, or at least I would think, that I could extrapolate from yarn to fabric. Now, not to say that I’m completely shy about fabric, I’ve gotten over this hurdle in some ways but not completely.
After I finished my Bunnies & Berries mini quilt, I spent a bit of time digging around for inspiration for my next mini. I came across the Cinque Terre pattern and it really seemed to fit the bill. After the fiddly work of those tiny dresdens and hand quilting, I was ready for something simple. The pattern uses Liberty fabric for the wow factor, letting the fabric do all the work in a sweet play on the 9-patch. I decided it was time to bite the bullet. I got out the Liberty bin.
I finally decided to just double down. Go big or go home, as they say. I decided to make the whole mini out of Betsy.
This is Besty – she is one of my all time favorite Liberty patterns. This colorway has metallic accents which just… gah, I love it. I found that I had a good varitey of colorways, so I pulled, arranged…
And sat. Since we’re having a heart-to-heart today, it still took me a week to cut into them. But once I did… I was off to the races. The pattern is straightfoward and lends itself nicely to chain piecing. I don’t think it even took 2 hours to make up the blocks.
This. This was the point in the process where the clouds parted and the sun rose over my sewing room, and I knew I was on to something. Another hour or so and the top was done, basted, quilted, and bound. I used some Liberty quilters cotton from my stash for the back and quilted it with simple straight lines a bit over 1/2″ apart.
To no one’s surprise, I’m sure, I am completely enamoured. One thing I am really learning so far in my year of minis is the joy of immortalizing a beloved print or motif in a little piece that can hang on my wall for as long as I want it to. A little goes a long way in these bite sized quilts. This project has inspired me to really stop stashing (so much) and start sewing (even more). I might even have my sights set on another Liberty stash quilt!